Wednesday, August 16, 2006

past the picket fences

what an unbelievable church i belong to! this last sunday they played this derek webb song...and i can't get it out of my head! i love that my "church" doesn't stop when i walk out of the door. i love that the things we talk about in that building follow me out into my everyday life--making me examine myself and my relationship with God all through the week. both, in the easy to apply situations and the hard. i am so grateful that God has created me to be a part of this loving, stumbling, truth telling, and at times disappionting, community.

here is the song. as always leaving the shoal creek stage--going right past my picket fence defences and entering right into my heart and life...sin doesn't look the same anymore. sin sometimes looks alot like doing good...so says paul in romans 7.


i repent by derek webb

i repent, i repent of my pursuit of america's dream i repent, i repent of living like i deserve anything of my house, my fence, my kids, my wife in our suburb where we're safe and white i am wrong and of these things i repent i repent, i repent of parading my liberty i repent. i repent of paying for what i get for free and for the way i believe that i am living right by trading sins for others that are easier to hide i am wrong and of these things i repent i repent judging by a law that even i can't keep of wearing righteousness like a disguise to see through the planks in my own eyes i repent, i repent of trading truth for false unity i repent, i repent of confusing peace and idolatry by caring more of what they think than what i know of what we need by domesticating you until you look just like me i am wrong and of these things i repent

1 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant said...

I especially liked the last part.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home