Wednesday, February 15, 2006

broken glasses




i was sitting around with a friend lamenting the abundance of broken relationships and people that seem to be surrounding us right now and i felt desperate. it all felt a bit hopeless . . . and then i let the Son shine in on the situaiton and felt silly. i felt silly that i really think so much of myself to think that i could fix anyone's problems or hurts or even warn them of possible hurt to come.


when i first came to Christ, it's like He took off the old cracked glasses that i used to wear and restored my sight. now as i look around, all i can see are people stumbling around through life with broken glasses--just like my old ones. i immediately try to help them. i try to save them from running into all the things that i once did. but my mission isn't so easily accomplished. because when it comes down to it, i can't fix their vision, i can only walk beside them on the journey toward the divine Physician who can give them new eyes. they can't see what i see. they don't know that their lenses are cracked and useless. so they proudly stumble around and refuse my help--hey, i can't blame them. i did that once too.

it's just so hard to see the ones around me make mistakes--even though i know the mistakes they are making are nessesary, bringing them only closer to a living God.

it is hard to remember that my job is not to "fix" it or to do it for them. my job is merely to walk beside and love them. too many times i think too much of myself and forget that it is not me that is responsible for my "sight".

this rough metaphor helps me get my mind around my mission. there is so much going on around me and inside me right now. God wants to work. i must learn to get out of the way . . .

i am so deeply selfish that even in my acts of kindness i assume others should see what i see, know what i know, do what i do. even though it may be the right thing it is the wrong thing.

Christ would have all come unto Him, each one on a different path--their own path. because when it comes down to it His story is deeply personal. each person has to find their own way. we don't learn what we should from other people's example. we all--like two year olds--must do it ourselves.

i must walk beside the stumbling, i must love the desperate but i must remember always that it is Him, not me, that restores life and sight.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I sat today with a friend and sister in Christ that is dealing with a broken relationship in her life. I an thankful that she knows who is able to comfort her.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Amen Lex....praying for all of you as you walk quietly beside them....

8:08 AM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Nice

8:31 PM  
Blogger Joash Chan said...

I totally agree with you. But I find it extremely hard to draw the line between walking with them, loving them and fixing a problem that isn't mine to fix. I mean, when do we cross that line? How far is too far?

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home