Friday, November 25, 2005

seeing purple



purple


are the things that matter. politely waiting for dicovery behind things painted glaring red or envy green.

purple is royal as am i.

purple is strong, yet neutral.

purple is important. but it modestly keeps it's own secret by hiding behind my selfishness and pride.

my favorite color is purple. although i rarely wear it. i mostly opt for black because it is sleeker or blue because it is striking. when will i ever learn to pick the purple out of things and leave the rest alone?

purple stands for grace regifted. purple stands for people. purple stands for making a difference. purple stands for living where you are. purple is best found today, woven in ribbons of life all around us. if i could only learn to pick the purple peices out of life. then i could be happy. then we would be whole.


purple.



i've been in a bit of an artsy mode lately. my thoughts have grown deeper and wider lately. thoughts of what is really important. my thoughts have been on an annoying repeditive loop, thinking only of the inadequacy of the important things in my life...over and over and over and....

around this time of year the holiday season usually swallows me whole and i enjoy every minute of it until i am chewed up and spit out Jan 2nd. but this year is different. this year as i finger the money in my pocket i wonder if i am spending it on the right people. this year the traditions seem empty and the magic of the season seems overrated. it seems i am doing everything but remembering the grace given to me in that manger so long ago...these traditions which i hold fast are frighteningly hollow when bumped into.

so . . . all of this to say . . .

why do i gift people that are already blessed beyond belief with things they'll never remember after february? why, when there are people out there that can eat for a month on $20 do i buy my mother in law bath products with that dirty little green peice of paper instead? we have this big chunk of christmas money that i can't bring myself to spend on my normal shopping extravaganza. i have no idea why. . . or maybe i just don't want to know why. . .

i have this errie feeling that He wants more from me this Christmas. and this feeling is threatening my peaceful little suburban lifestyle. and i want to push this feeling rising up in my chest away--far far away and act like i never felt it at all. i want to turn the christmas music up so loud that i forget about this still small voice and go eat chocolate and buy all the nothings i've usually already purchased by this time in november.

but i can't.

i am frozen.

not with the cold. but with the feeling that this is all a bunch of nothing that me and every other american make up this time of year to get us through the cold. if this is all about the baby Jesus than why am i not offering Him gifts instead?

i am seeing purple this season instead of the typical red. and it's kinda scary.

6 Comments:

Blogger Abi' K. said...

lex...funny this is your writing for today. our family decided that after too many presents (15 each) after several years it's absolutely ridiculous that we let ourselves be consumed by the world's reality instead of God's reality for us...and we are going back to the reason for this time of year. as chas and elliott said the thanksgiving prayer yesterday tears welled within my eyes...i think it's fine you are seeing purple this year...just make sure you rememebr that is the holy color of jesus...maybe that is why you are seeing purple.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

be afraid be very afraid Lex.....

I loved the whole of this...the re: PURPLE....don't run away from it go wholly and completely INTO it....enjoy the season....enjoy all of it but don't stop seeing purple and remember to point it out to the rest of us...or maybe...we'll just see it with you....love you and your journey....Thanks for this seriously....THANKS...love b

1:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wanna meet and have a playdate someday.
I think Purple is a great holiday color. Royalty is what comes to mind. Jesus is most royal and this is His season.
If you are concerned about gifts, but still want to give something check out fair trade items. I can hardly bring myself to buy something at Target or Walmart. I placed things back on the shelf yesterday and will make a purchase later today at Equal Exchange (free shipping too on an order over $75) If you have trouble finding good fairtrade shops online I've listed 4 (i think) on my blog. Buying from these stores is fun, 2 gifts in one.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Wow, my sentiments exactly this year! I am having such a hard time doing Christmas. It was so good to see someone shares my feelings on this. (BJK sent me here!)

8:58 PM  
Blogger so i go said...

great post, lex..
especially loved.. "and this feeling is threatening my peaceful little suburban lifestyle"..

hang on.. you're in for a wild ride.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Purple is my favorite color. I find it represents Christmas better than Green and Red too. Our tree is Purple and Gold this year.

Isn't it funny how God has put these concerns on so many hearts this year. We are not exchanging gifts on Christmas this year. We are finding some way to serve our community on Christmas. We will exchange gifts on 3 kings day this year (we came up with this plan last christmas). We usually give our daughter (now daughters) lots of fun things but limit each other's gifts to just a couple.

I think exchanging gifts is still fun, but I think it's a problem when that's all we focus on. We are trying to instill in our kids a sense of giving and serving and how to take the focus off of ourselves and what we want.

Sorry for the lengthy comment. I love this post of yours. I found you through a comment on another blog that I found through a comment on another blog!!

Anyway, come visit me sometime on my blog!

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home