Tuesday, November 29, 2005

stop


okay, stop.

stop reading this silly blog. right now. just stop. you really must and pick up donald miller's book Blue like Jazz.

this book is amazing and because you haven't really stopped reading my blog i have no other option but to quote some of the book for you right here:)

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.


Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself.

It is as if they are showing you the way.


I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened."

whoa! seriously. you must read this book and pass it on. it answers alot of questions and askes alot of questions just by telling a simple story.

i've read and enjoyed alot of books but this one is special.

although i was dissappointed that it ended (which i always am when something is good), i was not dissappionted at it's end.

and that never happens to me.

i am what my husband would call an eternal optimist. i am sooo optimistic that things will be perfect that i have lofty expectations for everything! ridiculous expectations that are rarely ever met. this book blew those expectations away.

wow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Curious Servant said...

That is a great book. I just finished his next book "Searching For God knows What" and I enjoyed it even more. More coherent, thoughtful. The chapters build on each other and come together very nicely.

Besdies, it's fun to read about local hang outs.

God bless.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Abi' K. said...

lex...my sister has read that book and loved it. i can't quite jump on he bandwagon of it ye, maybe afer i finish my bono book and dinner with a perfect stranger i will consider it. i just bought velvet elvis so i think that is next on the book agenda. pretty excited about it...i am also in the middle of proverbs. that is some solid reading as well. missing you and loving you from afar!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

glad you liked it. it is the book we will be discussing in my book club on Sat.

Abi' said it is trendy, but it is old. well, a couple of years old. Don't tell her (she can readit here) but i think velvet elvis is WAY trendy right now.

good to be trendy i think. it gets people reading it. i didn't repierce my nose b/c the checkers at walmart have theirs pierced - that is the kind of trendy that I don't want to be a part of. the trendy jesus stuff. . . i will consider. especially if an occational smoke and beer (i prefer wine) are involved. maybe not WWJD, i prefer the white one.org band.

Here is another read, Under the Overpass. I read it in a day. Easy to read, but the content is difficult to deal with. Have you read The Gutter? Velvet Elvis? Enjoy reading.

there is a 40% off sale at the bookstore on campus this week. if there are any books you are really wanting I may be able to get them for you at a killer price, ship them book rate and they will be on your doorstep for less $ than borders. email me and let me know.

heading to bed, i think.

11:26 PM  
Blogger so i go said...

i'm always so jazzed (forgive the pun) to see others experience that book. it's a life changer, that's for sure.

peace, lex.. have a super weekend.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

There is a prayer request on mmy blog. If you have a moment, it would mean a lot.

God bless

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

forget my sister, lex! she is the one that said "ahhhh, you have to read velvet elvis....blah blah blah..." i read a bit of blue like jazz tonight while sitting around and was laughing so hard i decided to order it! i am visiting my sister in illinois this weekend. we are having a great time. time is flying with my nephews for sure though! love you! oh, just finished "dinner with a perfect stranger" great book, quick read, and answers some great quesions we as christians always have and can never find the answer to!!!--abs'

*just realized this is posting as my sister!!! sorry!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

The doctors say that only a miracle can save Bob. He is in critical but stable condition. I am going tonight to a prayer vigil beside his bed at the hospital.

If you read this before 4:00 a.m. pray that I stay awake. If you read this after. please pick up the prayer that I have left off.

Thank you for your prayers. More info on my blog.

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home